Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was wondering what this part of stair trim that the arrow points to is referred to as. It is like a faceplate on the side of stairs, inverse of a baseboard.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 15 down vote accepted

If it's structural (the tread/risers are supported by it), it's called a stringer.

If it's not structural, it's called skirting (or simply a skirt).

enter image description here enter image description here Source (PDF)

share|improve this answer
not structural, simply decorative – amphibient Nov 4 '13 at 17:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.