Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

I want to make a white board (or something that will work for dry erase markers) to go in a place that you can not really buy for.

The space is only 10.5 inches high and 180 inches long. I was looking for a way that is not too expensive but still works well,

One idea was to get a long piece of laminated paper to hang up.

Does anyone know how I could do this?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Chris Cudmore, Niall C., ChrisF Nov 5 '13 at 9:10

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

buy a 3ft by 5ft white board. remove the trim. cut off three lengths, each 10.5 x 60. re-trim it with wood or aluminum. – mike Nov 1 '13 at 17:22

Dry erase paint is available from a few different manufacturers.

Are a couple examples.

When I was in college, I bought a sheet material from Home Depot that had a smooth white finish. I don't remember what it was, but it worked well as a makeshift Whiteboard. If I remember correctly, it was a thin sheet of MDF coated on one side with acrylic. They sold it in 4x8' sheets, which could be easily cut to fit. The only down side was that if marks were left on it for a long time, they had to be cleaned off using dry erase cleaner spray.

It may have been Thrifty White.

share|improve this answer
I have looked at this and it is a little expensive, over $200 – shane Nov 1 '13 at 16:43
@shane Sorry, you didn't specify what "expensive" meant. – Tester101 Nov 1 '13 at 16:51

You can purchase marker board at big box stores.

The illustrated item is 2x4 ft, but it may be available in panels up to 8 ft. You can mount it in a frame and hang it or mount it permanently to the wall using glue.

share|improve this answer

The cheap option is "shower panels" or also called "tileboard". It's typically a 4x8 sheet of hardboard with a white, shiny, laminate coating. Usually less than $20. Typically used as wall panels in a low-cost laundry room or basement bathroom or the like.

Cut it to size, stick it to the wall with some liquid nails.

share|improve this answer

You can buy dry erase wallpaper. It works well in my experience and comes in long rolls. We had a conference room that had this on every wall from floor to ceiling and it was very nice.

I don't have experience with any specific brand but a google search turned up this.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.