Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a bedroom window with cracked glass, and I'm trying to figure out the manufacturer so I can get it fixed. The windows are double hung, and three pictures are attached. I looked all over the window, and I could not find any stickers or identifying information.

I'm near Boston, MA and the windows were installed in about 2007. I know they are not BF Rich, and I talked to someone at Home Depot and he didn't know.

As an alternative, should I contact someone other than the manufacturer to get it fixed?

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

I had a similar problem.

It was easy enough to remove the window, and take it to my local glass shop. They had a new pane put in by the next day.

If it's a screened window, you can do this when the weather is nice. Otherwise, you'll need to cut a piece of plywood to block the hole while it's being repaired.

Taking it into the shop allows for considerable savings over having the truck come to you.

Call ahead and book a time. You might have it done in a couple of hours.

share|improve this answer
Good suggestion on taking it into the shop. – The Evil Greebo Oct 29 '13 at 14:09
Of course, it depends on your ability to secure the area. – Chris Cudmore Oct 29 '13 at 14:10
Thanks, I'll try a local glass shop and report back. – Kekito Oct 30 '13 at 17:18
Local shop had to order the glass so I brought the window in to be measured and then put it back. Glass will arrive in a week and cost me $80. – Kekito Nov 2 '13 at 15:44

You don't need the manufacturer. Glass repair is common enough - there should be at least one window/glass repair shops around.

The repair process generally consists of the repair guy measuring the glass, preparing a replacement pane in a shop, then bringing it back to the house and replacing the glass while the window is in the wall.

The downside is it's often as expensive, or nearly as expensive, as simply putting in a new window.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.