Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The house we purchased is a "tear-down". A builder bought the older structure, partially tore it down and built a bigger house on the old footprint. A lot of the original gas piping is still in the basement. However, for all of the new runs, they used that yellow flexible gas piping. This includes the main run up to the furnace in the attic, as the house is 2-zone heat & ac.

Articles like this one get me a bit concerned. In your experience, how safe & resilient is flexible gas tubing? What if anything do I need to be concerned about? How do I protect myself and family if the integrity of any of this gas tubing were to be compromised?

share|improve this question
Can you provide a picture of the tubing, and/or any writing on the tubing? – Tester101 Oct 21 '13 at 14:05
up vote 8 down vote accepted

There are two types of tubing most people think of, when you say "flexible gas tubing". The first and more common, are flexible gas connectors.

Gas Connectors

These guys are typically 3-6' long, and are used to connect appliances to the gas piping. They are only to be used as a short link between the fixed piping and the appliance, and so are considered a "connector" and not true piping.

The other product; that may not be as well known, is Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST).


This stuff is made up of semi-rigid corrugated stainless steel tubing surrounded by a polyethylene jacketing, and is designed and approved to be used as a gas piping method. There may be problems caused by lightning strikes, but the solution is to simply have an Electrician install a bonding device.

The author of the linked article seems to be unaware of the differences between these two types of tubing, and is simply spreading misinformation. While it's true that you wouldn't want to plumb your house using only flexible gas connectors, this is not what's being proposed.

If you smell gas, evacuate the building and call 911 (emergency services).

share|improve this answer
This stuff that i'm talking about is indeed the CSST as shown in your picture. – SBerg413 Oct 21 '13 at 15:02

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.