Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a bay window similar to the 1st photo below. When I moved in this house, there was a curved curtain rail system and 3 separate pieces of curtain for the 3 windows of the bay. As it was very fragile and seemingly broken I removed all of this. Now I would need a solution to replace it, but I'm really not sure where to start.

What would be the easiest solution, wood or metal, for such a bay window (the only condition is that the curtain must follow the shape of the window)?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Wood or metal curtain rod? –  mike Oct 17 '13 at 19:49
I'd say either. –  drake035 Oct 17 '13 at 20:28
Will supporting the curtain rod with three brackets be strong enough for you? one in the middle, the others at the two ends? –  mike Oct 18 '13 at 1:41
I think so yes. I heard that there are other options as well, like thin curtains that "roll" upward. In this case there are 3 curtains for the 3 windows. –  drake035 Oct 18 '13 at 10:49

1 Answer 1

There are standard curtain rods for bay windows such as this one

bay curtain rod

There is also no reason you cannot use three rods, placed close to one another, one for each window.

share|improve this answer
In our neighborhood, the three rod solution reigns supreme. –  Edwin Buck Oct 19 '13 at 13:45
Won't work for me because it says that 3 separate curtains are required (I wonder what happens with the one in the middle part, does it just hand there on a side of the middle section?) –  drake035 Nov 4 '13 at 12:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.