Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm a renter and have had a horrible egg smell under crawl space. Waste has is been going on in my house for three months all he did was fix pipe with PFC and put lye down I've been sick dog and wife is. Am I in danger I feel yes and what r my rights

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Tester101 Oct 14 '13 at 10:13

  • This question does not appear to be about home improvement within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

If your staying in the house you should at least have fans blowing in and out of the crawl space. Box fans work good. – Justin K Oct 13 '13 at 18:13
then send your landlord an email or registered letter saying you want the dirt removed for under the house in the affected areas. Then a plastic vapor barrier laid on the ground and up the sides of the foundation. – Justin K Oct 13 '13 at 18:18
You should be contacting a doctor and lawyer, not a DIY website. Rotten egg smell is typically natural gas, though I guess could be sewage. – Tester101 Oct 14 '13 at 10:11
This question appears to be off-topic because it is about medical and or legal issues. – Tester101 Oct 14 '13 at 10:13

Let me preface this with a disclaimer; I am not a lawyer nor a health professional.

That said, the smell is likely hydrogen sulfide which in high enough concentrations can kill you, but since the problem is fixed it probably isn't nearly strong enough for that; most likely you'd just experience respiratory irritation. I recommend trying to keep it aired out as much as possible, so the gas doesn't build up. You should contact your landlord and get them to address the issue.

As far as your rights, that is entirely dependent on your location. If your landlord won't address the issue, this is probably the point where you should get your local health department involved; in most jurisdictions they can force property owners to address issues that are public health concerns.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.