I have had some re-plastering and re-decorating work done in my kitchen. I had a new light fixture installed which takes 6 GU10 type bulbs. When the light fixture was first installed I placed 6 LED bulbs into it. The bulbs are Aurora branded and consume 7W of power each.
When I switch on the light it trips out the power on the Residual Current Detector (RCD) in my house. We assumed the problem was with the old wiring - perhaps it got damaged when the work was being done. So we ran a new wire to the fixture from a new light switch.
The power still tripped out. Next we assumed the light fitting itself was faulty, so we returned it and got another.
Still the power trips out.
Then I thought it might be the LED bulbs, so I swapped them out for the 6 Halogen bulbs that came for free with the fixture - it works perfectly!
So the problem seems to be with the LEDs, but how can LED bulbs cause electrical problems? I paid £10 per bulb so wouldn't expect them to behave this way.