I live in Gloucester Ottawa and there is no GFI's in our townhouses. I have general knowledge of electrical codes. Winter is approaching and I don't feel like getting electrocuted when I plug in my car or my Christmas lights. Also I don't think any units in my complex have GFI's.
closed as unclear what you're asking by BMitch♦ Oct 8 '13 at 13:15
Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.
You will have to check your local codes, but typically an installation is considered legal if it was up to code when it was installed / built. Doing major renovations may require you to bring the work up to code, but what exactly is required is up to your local inspectors.
If you're worried about getting shocked due to moisture you can use a GFCI adapter, which does exactly the same thing as the GFCI outlets: compare the hot current with the neutral current to look for any leakage (which typically is indicative of an undesirable condition).
(Note that there are still other ways you can get shocked... the GFCI just protects against a specific category of faults.)