In my building there are some works happening. I asked about asbestos to contractors and they told me probably won't be a problem because asbestos was banned from UK long time ago.
But now seems they have found some in external panels in all windows. They told us in a letter
"The removal of AIB asbestos can now be carried from outside of building. However we still need to gain access to your property to seal around the panels. This should take 10-15 minutes to complete..."
After researching online and I have read that AIB asbestos is one of the worst. The contractors are watering the walls and told us to close the windows so I guess they have already started to remove AIB asbestos from other flats.
I have 5 months kid and I am worried about this. Should I arrange that my family moves away for some time during asbestos removal?
What is the risk involved?
I have some reasons to flee:
- AIB Asbestos is the most dangerous
- 2 adjacent buildings with 6 floors each one and 4 flats per floor makes 48 flats.
- My kid is only 5 months old.
- Even if the removal is from outside they need to protect each flat.
And some reasons to feel safe...
- Seems that they are watering the walls to avoid having dust and preparing plastics to protect each house.
- The removal is going to be from outside.
- The works are ordered by local council.