Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On the back of my house, the section between the vinyl siding and the ground is covered with some sort of white, textured material. What exactly is it? Is it stucco?Bottom of house

Secondly, what would be the best way to fix that gash in it that came from trimming along there with a string trimmer?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Given that someone put a gash in it with a string trimmer, its likely stucco over rigid foam insulation panels.

If there's wire mesh in there as well, it's likely a traditional multi-coat stucco finish that can be repaired using stucco repair techniques.

If there's no wire mesh, you may have an EIFS wall (exterior insulation finishing system), which is kind of insulation and finish in one. This should be repaired using products and techniques specific to EIFS.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.