Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am getting ready to paint my living room using Behr's Glowing Firelight (S-G-200):

enter image description here

My building sidekick suggested not to use the regular Killz2 primer but some special gray primer for red(ish) paints. I am posting here to confirm his suggestion and open a discussion for second opinions. Which specific primer would be the best for this paint?

share|improve this question

You should have your Kilz 2 tinted the same color as the topcoat. Most places will do that for free.

share|improve this answer

Choose the primer that you feel best meets the purpose of the room. Have it tinted grey. The grey tint allows the red to show faster - less coats. If you want me to give advice on specific primer then I would say what kind of room it is and if there are any special conditions.

share|improve this answer
thanks but this doesn't really answer my question -- it merely recycles it. – amphibient Aug 31 '13 at 19:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.