Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a slate kitchen floor and wooden skirting on the walls around (no beading). At some points around the wall there are gaps of around 4 mm or more.

I was thinking of simply stuffing paper in the gap and then using polyfilla to cover the gap (sanding it off and then re-painting the skirting).

Does this sound like a good idea? I am worried about making a mess of the slate floor using polyfilla.

share|improve this question
Is your floor uneven or your skirt/trim too high? Are you trying to fix it or cover it up? – Jason Aug 21 '13 at 16:42
The floor is uneven. Basically I just want to seal the gap to prevent insects coming in and keeping the warmth in. – Carl Owens Aug 21 '13 at 16:50
If bugs and cold air are coming in through this gap, you have bigger problems. Trim is simply used to cover a junction between two different planes, where a gap or ugliness may exist. Trim should have nothing to do with the seal of a building. – Tester101 Aug 21 '13 at 16:54
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I would use foam backer rod in the gaps, put down masking tape on the slate (and perhaps above the joint, on the skirting and fill with the polyfila or perhaps a colour matched latex based caulk.

Pull the masking tape right after smoothing the joint down with a finger.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.