Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I replaced a lavatory in the bathroom with a new faucet and new trap, but the old 1-1/4 trap is connected to a cast iron pipe with led through the wall. I cut the old trap out, and I used a 1-1/4 connector and it is okay. I'd like to replace the old piece of trap that is leading into the cast iron pipe with a straight PVC pipe and an adapter. What is the best way to do that?

share|improve this question

You would normally cut out the piece right before - 8 inches or so before the main stack. You then connect PVC to cast iron with a coupling.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.