Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Below is an image below my kitchen.

  1. The drain for the sink. I can hear the water run through it
  2. Junction
  3. Connects to the 3" main drain
  4. Is this a vent? I don't hear any water going through it and I can't figure out what else it could be hooked up to
  5. Sump pump

Is number 4 a vent and could I tie into it for my basement dishwasher?

Edited: Updated to the real pict I meant to post enter image description here

share|improve this question
No image showing. – bib Aug 9 '13 at 13:28
If it's a 1 1/4 or greater pipe that's running up where there's no fixtures above, then it's likely a vent. Can't tell for sure without a photo. – Chris Cudmore Aug 9 '13 at 13:32
We can't see where the pipes are going or where they came from. More pics would help. – DMoore Aug 9 '13 at 15:26
If you look at this diagram the picture is taken from the bottom doorway looking down on the dwg. Ignore the bottom sump pipe. The one the runs off the left of the pict connects to the dotted drain. The kitchen sink drains from the pipe above the beam and runs off the left of the pict. So I'm guessing the pipe the T's off of it is the vent?? – 2 Left Thumbs Aug 9 '13 at 15:34
The vent connection to the main stack is normally above the "bottom of the sink/tub line" If you are taking this picture from your basement looking up and all of the pipes are shooting down and then into the stack... Then I would say none of these are vents. The pipe that is against the wall could be. – DMoore Aug 9 '13 at 17:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.