I am looking to finish my basement and as part of the renovation, I'd like to install a bar complete with a sink and dishwasher (and beer taps of course). Attached (once I get enough rep) is a diagram of what I am working with. From what I know, there are 3 options for installing the sink
- Regular ol' gravity, 1/4" drop per foot of run
- Trenching out a line to the drain
- Pumping the waste up
I'm pretty much going to say that I don't want to do number 2. #3 is the option of last resort as I don't want to listen to the thing running every time I turn on a faucet for the sink or run the dishwasher. That leaves me with option one.
As you can see from the diagram, there's a 3" PVC drain pipe that currently runs in the ceiling and out down the far wall. There are water lines that run parallel to this drain line. The two circles on the diagram are current PVC pipes sticking out of the ground along the foundation wall (put in the room for clarity). The one on the top is labeled 2" and the one on the bottom of the diagram is 3". The drain line in the ceiling connects to the one on the bottom. [There's also a sump pump in the ground behind the door on the bottom that's not on the diagram if that matters any]
Racking my brain, the 3 options that I see are
- Get rid of the bottom door and run along the walls to the drain. Depending on where the sink and d/w are, that's a run of about 36.5'~ 43.75' which would require a drop of about 9~11". That doesn't seem like very much
- Run it up along the stairs and over to the 2" pipe. That's a shorter run, but it'd require me to build a wall across and chop up the storage area.
- Bite the bullet and do option 3. I could pump it up into the 3" pipe that's already in the ceiling.
I guess my questions are
- What is all needed to install the sink and/or dishwasher? Do I only need to bring in water and dump waste? What about venting?
- I've read that the 1/4" rule is based on the P-trap to where you tie in. What part of the P-trap do you measure from? How low can you tie into an existing pipe?
- Can I tie into those existing pipes or is there some gotcha that I don't know about?
- If I have to go with option #3, is it a device that is above ground (no foundation digging) and can I place it away from the back of the sink wall to make it quieter?