Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I plan on buying a house but it has this cleanout and old vent for the plumbing in the basement. Whoever renovated the basement disconnected the vent and just let air flow into the basement.

enter image description here

Is there a simple way to seal off this vent so it wont stink in the basement? Is this a serious issue that needs to be handled by a plumber?

share|improve this question
Be careful with 3 lb mauls.. cast iron is quite brittle... – HerrBag Aug 6 '13 at 22:08
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Fernco makes rubber caps that you would put a stainless worm-gear clamp around. Take your outside diameter measurement to a plumbing supply house.. What your have is a main drain and cleanout wye. As suggested by dmoore, future plumbing may be connected, though its not a toilet flange. Its likely the point of exit for the drain system (from the house), as it traverses to the sewer (or septic), to allow the drain to be snaked out, if obstructed.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
For cast iron, there's also an internal expanding type cap available that I've had to use as the external diameter on the bell joint wasn't an standard size. – Fiasco Labs Aug 6 '13 at 23:20
Thanks. I knew there had to be something I just didn't know the right terms to use to google it. – Lawrence Barsanti Aug 7 '13 at 3:44

That looks to be a rough in for a toilet - I could be wrong but picture isn't great. Just cap it. How wide is the pipe is will determine what it could be used for.

It isn't your basement drainage pipe because it is raised... Well I guess it could be but that would be a very bad thing.

Either way it looks like a rough-in for something. I think toilet/sink combo - I have seen these tied together in older homes in the basement- but could be for just sink usage - maybe for laundry sink or something like that. Either way put a cap on it. The iron ones screw in and you can find them at the big box. If it doesn't have grooves put some sort of cap over the outside of it. You do not need a plumber for this.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.