Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Hypothetically, say I was too aggressive using a bucket in a new stainless steel sink.

Hypothetically, say the sink now has some scratches.

I used an oxalic acid based cleanser (Bar Keepers Friend), scrubbing in the direction of the grain. Sink cleaned up nicely, but the scratches were barely dented (scratched).

How is the grain originally put into the sink? I would assume a wire wheel. I would think metal buffing compound would make the surface TOO smooth.

Any tips or techniques would be appreciated.

share|improve this question
I use Cerama Bryte on glass stove and sink, not high sheen but it is basically a cleaning wax. Gets the job done for me. – Jason Aug 6 '13 at 14:06
up vote 4 down vote accepted

The "grain" is a result of a 25 minute grinding and buffing process completed near the end of the creation of the sink.

This video gives a bit of a clue. The final stages are at the 3:50 mark.


share|improve this answer
Very interesting! I found a video on the same page from ProLine Range hoods that uses maroon and grey scotchbrite pads for scratch removal, a bit more accessable from the custom die grinders the factory uses: youtube.com/watch?v=FOmUran35dE – HerrBag Aug 6 '13 at 20:50

Per the video at ProLine Range, ScotchBrite pads should be wrapped around a block of wood, for even pressure. The 'sanding stroke' should go in one direction only, parallel with the grain, lifting for the return stroke. They recommended starting with the maroon (320-400) and then progress to the light grey (600-800). I started and ended with the green, so I'll go back and try again.


7445 - White pad, called Light Duty Cleansing - (1000)

7448 - Light Grey, called Ultra Fine Hand - (600-800)

6448 - Green, called Light Duty Hand Pad - (600)

7447 - Maroon pad, called General Purpose Hand - (320-400)

6444 - Brown pad, called Extra Duty Hand - (280-320)

7446 - Dark Grey pad, called Blending Pad (180-220)

7440 - Tan pad, called Heavy Duty Hand Pad - (120-150)

share|improve this answer

Anytime I have gotten scratches in my sinks I used SOS pads in a circular fashion. After a lot of elbow grease all have gone away. Not sure how bad your scratches are though.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.