Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Aptos, CA, United States

What service or documentation resource can I use to determine what the frost-line is for my area? I'd be inclined to ask the county building/planning office but I suspect that they'll want to charge for answering a seemingly simple (and hopefully well documented) question.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

In general you can use these guidelines.

enter image description here

enter image description here

These are very good guidelines that are widely recognized. However if getting inspected I would just ask your building department for their code requirements.

NOTE*** This is how deep your footings would be in undisturbed soil. So for example if there was a regrading of the land - as often the case in new builds - you would have to go this deep past the disturbed soil or consult an engineer that would sign off on something else. So if they regraded your land to 3 feet and you lived in Arkansas you would need to go to 54 inches or gets clearance from an engineer to put the footings shallower.

share|improve this answer

The 2010 California Residential Code has a beautiful table (TABLE R301.2(1)) to list the frost lines; however, that is empty.

The Santa Cruz County Municipal Code states "Frost line depth = 12 inches below undisturbed soil". Search for "frost line".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.