Sign up ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

We bought an old house. The cabinets have many coats of old paint and the wood grains is very wavy and raised. What can I do to make them smooth. I do not mind painted wood. I just do not like the wavy raised finish. It is too expensive to replace the doors.

share|improve this question
When you say "wavy and raised" do you mean a little on the surface or real lifting of layers in a plywood? (If you are not sure, if it's 1/16" or more, it's probably lifted layers.) – bib Aug 3 '13 at 16:36
This would be a great question to post some pictures :) (if you've got some that can show the waviness) – John Smith Aug 3 '13 at 18:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.