Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

We have a bathmat that we use to line the tub when we bathe our daughter. After the bath, we remove the mat and suction it to the shower wall (which is some sort of frosted glass)

I've noticed black mold growing on the suction cups.

I tried to use vinegar...sprayed it and tried to wipe off the mold. I tried a little bleach too.

Nothing seems to remove it.

Is there something else I should try?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

My experience is that the black growth actually gets right into the bath mat material and cannot be easily removed. I suggest that you replace the mat and then use an alternate procedure when stowing the mat after use.

After use always rinse it off well so no bath scum and other things are left on it. Then hang it up over a towel bar, suction cut side up, so that it can fully dry after each use. When you suction cup the wet mat to the wall you are leaving it there as a perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew growth to occur.

share|improve this answer
add comment

If you let is sit in a bleach solution the mold will eventually fall off (with maybe a thorough scrubbing - sos pad). You might want to throw it away. It got the mold because you suctioned it to the wall leaving water trapped inside the cups - a breeding ground in a humid bathroom.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Run it through the washing machine on hot with some towels, detergent, and bleach. This is how I clean my shower curtain liner.

share|improve this answer
    
+1 for the practical solution. I did suggest the guy solution of letting it sit in the basement/garage in bleach. I like the bleach smell though! –  DMoore Jul 30 '13 at 15:46
    
Hi Lisa. Do you do this as a maintenance technique to prevent mold growth or is it effective at getting rid of all the mold after it has settled in? I feel like the mold is in the rubber because I can't scrub it off. –  milesmeow Aug 3 '13 at 10:03
    
It won't prevent mold growth, but it will remove it. For mold prevention, Michael Karas' suggestions above will work. –  Lisa Aug 5 '13 at 12:17
add comment

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.