Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am recaulking around the edge of the bathtub where the tub meets the tile on the wall. I got caulk listed as "for kitchen & bath": Loctite PL(Pro Line) 530. I haven't used the shower in weeks and finished cleaning the old caulk off. Reading the directions on the caulk, two things concern me: "Not Recommended For: ..., tub surrounds,..." and "Do not use in areas subject to water immersion".

I am hoping the first means it isn't meant to structurally hold a tub surround(like one of those molded wall liners). Maybe the second is saying it's not meant to seal things that would be subject to water pressure, i.e. sealing something that holds water and thus would need to structurally hold under water pressure.

So is this caulk not intended for use around my tub?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

PL 530 is not on Loctite's website

Are you sure that the number is correct?

Given their products with similar numbers, your tube of 530 is likely an adhesive, not a sealant. I would not use it except as a last resort in an emergency. I'd use a tube of sealant instead.

share|improve this answer
homedepot.com/p/… – AaronLS Jul 15 '13 at 3:55
You're right I suppose based ont he Home Depot website title, even though no where on the product itself does it have the word "adhesive"... – AaronLS Jul 15 '13 at 3:55
label reads like an adhesive. if you can, go with a sealant. – mike Jul 15 '13 at 3:58

On the PL530 label, under "Performance Facts", 1st box is "Features". It says "Premium grade adhesive formulation specifically for use on mirrors, ..."

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.