Sign up ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm upgrading my electrical service from 100A to 200A and am hoping to leave the existing panel as is and feed it from the new main as a sub panel. I know for a sub panel the neutral and ground bars have to be separated, but I'm not sure by looking at the existing panel (an older GE 24 breaker) whether this is possible or not. It definitely doesn't look the same as the newer panels where you just remove the one tie bar.

Any insight would be appreciated.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
A picture would be helpful. Also the model number or some other information that could help with identification, is required to definitively answer this question. Without more information, the answer is... Maybe. – Tester101 Jul 13 '13 at 14:04
Haha, of course... well the sticker on the door of the panel just says Amalgamated Electrical Corporation Limited CAT No. MB 2410 - 3003402 ... I have a photo but it's not letting me post it – Jul 14 '13 at 4:19

1 Answer 1

I wouldn't bond the ground with the nuetral anywhere. The nuetral is a current carrying ground and you really should let it run back to the source. Although the nuetral is an earth ground it is half the circuit and bonding the ground wires to it potentially puts your ground wires, and maybe the ground under your feet, in the active circuit. Sink a ground rod at the panel and bond ground wires to it. If your main panel has the nuetral and ground bonded I would separate them.

share|improve this answer
-1 This doesn't answer the question of whether that panel can be used as a sub-panel. – BMitch Sep 8 '13 at 1:22
"If your main panel has the nuetral and ground bonded I would separate them.". This is bad/unsafe advice. – Steven Sep 8 '13 at 20:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.