Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a certain type of plastic container (around 2-3 gallons) that has a spigot on the bottom and allows you to drain liquid using gravity. I used to see them a lot in the Navy used for cleaning fluids but can't figure out what to search for to find them.

I'm ultimately looking for something I can put liquid into and attach surgical tubing to the "drain" or "spigot" and has an on/off valve.

Does anyone know what these are called or where I can find them?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

I know you can get them from Uline, they call them Carboys.

Uline Carboy

I'm not sure if this is a standard name for a jug with a spigot, googling for carboy would lead me to believe it is not. As Jacob S pointed out, these are sometimes called a "rectangular carboy"

There is a similar product at The Container Store, they call them Slimline Fridge Jugs

share|improve this answer
Awesome! That's what I was looking for! – Jeremy Harris Jul 9 '13 at 20:43
sometimes called a "rectangular carboy" as well -- different manufacturers may use other names. – Jacob S Jul 9 '13 at 20:46
@JacobS ah, that returns more consistent results when googling. I'll add that to my answer, thanks! – JohnB Jul 9 '13 at 20:55
Yeah, now that I know the term "carboy" its easy to find. Sometimes I just don't know what I don't know! – Jeremy Harris Jul 9 '13 at 20:55
It is easy to confuse -- "carboy" can also refer to large round jugs with small neck and a cap, often used for water (like the jugs for water-cooler dispensers), the transportation of liquids, or in fermentation (homebrewing). – Jacob S Jul 9 '13 at 21:12

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.