Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Our upstairs bathroom is leaking to the ceiling drywall in our downstairs dining room. The toilet and the tub need to be fixed. We need to take up the tile, floor board, maybe tub and fix it all. Then replace the flooring, retile and fix the ceiling. My husband thinks he can go it alone. I'm a little leery. Should we call a pro?

share|improve this question
Do you know why it is leaking? Kind of weird that both tub and toilet are both leaking - is husband fixing leak and does he have experience with plumbing? For a person with low experience this is a 50-70 hour job at least. – DMoore Jul 7 '13 at 17:15
If this is your sole full bath, hire someone. Unless your husband is taking a week of vacation for the project. Even if you have another shower, bath toilet etc, The stress of the whole family using one bath isn't worth the savings. – mikes Jul 7 '13 at 19:54
Note that you don't repair a leak in the plumbing below the floor by ripping up the floor anywhere but the basement. You open the ceiling below since that's typically drywall, already damaged, and significantly easier to repair. – BMitch Jul 8 '13 at 11:40
The only way to answer this is to know your husband's skill set, experience, time available, access to materials, tools, etc. OR, the other way to answer it is: Are you filing a homeowners claim? If so, hire whoever they tell you to hire. – DA01 Jul 22 '13 at 22:42

If you are doing it solely to save money, then it's probably not a good idea. If you are ready to spend time to learn how to do it and enjoy diy, then there's no reason calling a "pro".

share|improve this answer
My husband wants to save money. He does not enjoy these things. He is easily frustrated – Elizabeth Jul 7 '13 at 16:46
"He is easily frustrated" - I'd call in a pro! At least to fix the plumbing. – Matt Jul 7 '13 at 21:40
@Elizabeth you might try a hybrid, husband does demo, pros repair damage and prep for tile(new backerboard, waterproofing over backrboard (Liquid membrane/Kerdi)), you and husband do tile and grouting. – HerrBag Jul 7 '13 at 22:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.