Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I cut my new vinyl flooring too short, causing a gap at one wall. How can I cover it up?

share|improve this question

You can use quarter round to extend your baseboards and cover small gaps.

Quarter Round

If the gap is really large you can cut a new larger piece of the flooring and line it up with the current floor in order to create a hopefully invisible seam. I think it generally looks better to have two large pieces with a seam instead of one large piece and one small piece.

share|improve this answer
Quarter round comes in a variety of sizes. You could also add a shorter baseboard to your current one for a little extra detail. – mikes Jul 6 '13 at 14:04
There is a specific type of molding made for use next to baseboard called "base shoe". If it offers enough coverage for the gap the base shoe can look more pleasing to the eye than the use of quarter round molding. – Michael Karas Jul 6 '13 at 14:04
I know quarter round is easy to get and install but I HATE the look of it. It hardly ever looks like it goes with the baseboard unless it is really plain. Always thought this was an untapped market. – DMoore Jul 6 '13 at 19:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.