Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been working on a lighting project that requires some light diffusers and after searching around I keep seeing people recommend something called Perspex. My only problem is that I can't seem to find this material anywhere. I'm in the US, does it go by another name here? Is it easy to obtain and where?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Home Depot has frosted acrylic sheets. The product description mentions that it's an excellent light diffuser.

According to Wikipedia's article on PMMA, Perspex is a brand name of the same (general) material.

share|improve this answer
I went to Home Depot and bought something similar, a Plaskolite Acrylic Sheet - Cracked Ice. This diffused the correct amount, the only issue is that it had a rather annoying texture to it. Perhaps I'll go back and look for a frosted acrylic sheet. I wonder if it would be very heavy. – William Nov 17 '10 at 20:19

Perspex is a brand name, but I've most often heard the name used by British English speakers. A similar product is Plexiglas which is also a brand name. In the US, people use the word "Plexiglas" generically and I believe that's true of the word "Perspex" in Great Britain. If you go into Home Depot in the US and ask for Perspex you're likely to get a quizzical look. If you ask for Plexiglas, you may not get that brand, but they'll know what you're talking about.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.