Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here

My roof valley is wider than this. I want light to pass in through. Is the polycarbonate I should use? Can I make a joint somewhere in the middle through the length with polycarbonate. I need some advice to get this done.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

You will have a difficult time getting approval for a non-traditional material in a roof assembly, code wise.

Additionally, polycarbonate has degradation problems with UV light: City Plastics

Acrylic or safety glass might be a better choice.

HOWEVER, the real fly-in-the-ointment is the structure necessary UNDER the roof valley, which is not transparent.

Stick with standard roof windows BETWEEN the framing members. It will be warrantied, accepted by your insurance and code authority, and easily installable by a journeyman roofer.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.