Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top


I was looking for silver foil to cover the heating duct insulation wrap. What is it called?

share|improve this question
Are you talking about the insulation over your heating duct lines? – Matt Johnson Jun 25 '13 at 8:25
Covering up that duct work with only foil tape is going to be very expensive. – Doresoom Jun 25 '13 at 15:02
Doresoom: how expensive? I am good till 100. :-) – hari Jun 25 '13 at 16:00
If you want to measure out your area to be covered, it's approximately $25 for 5400 sq inches, which comes out to $0.66/sq. ft. if I did my math right. Don't forget to account for overlap! – Doresoom Jun 25 '13 at 16:38
up vote 4 down vote accepted

You're looking for Duct Wrap. It's actually an insulation in it's own right, being one side foil, and the other side fiber insulation. I see no reason why you couldn't apply it over top of the existing insulation, provided everything is dry.

enter image description here


share|improve this answer

HVAC foil tape or Aluminum foil tape. What you DON'T want is a fabric/cloth duct tape.

share|improve this answer
thanks @HerrBag. – hari Jun 25 '13 at 16:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.