Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I live in a group apartment where there is severe water supply problem. We have a common sump in basement which can be filled with water from external supply sources like water tanker trucks on payment basis. Actually, I am looking for a solution which I can only individually utilize it. I am planning to install a overhead tank on the terrace of the apartment and provide pipe lines additionally to my flat. Now, if I want to refill the overhead tank with truck water supply tanker, how easily I can pump the water to the terrace?

share|improve this question
This is something that wouldn't be done in the US. Please provide your location so someone can provide advice that applies to your location. – BMitch Jun 20 '13 at 10:56
An overhead tank won't give much water pressure so you may still want a pump to provide more pressure. And if you're using a pump anyway, then you don't have to put the tank overhead, which can be expensive due to the strong structure required since water is so heavy (a 200 gallon tank would weigh over 1600 lbs). Whether it's overhead or not, you'll need to make sure your terrace can safely support the extra weight. – Johnny Jan 16 '14 at 19:59
First, you consult an engineer to see if the roof will support that much weight. Bad to have it come crashing down through the complex when the roof beams fail. – Fiasco Labs Aug 20 '14 at 15:31
Note that there are some locations (e.g. Colorado) where you do not have legal rights to the water that falls on your roof, and doing what you suggest is (sadly) illegal if you are talking about capturing rain water. – Phrogz Oct 19 '14 at 18:05
@JasonHutchinson my understanding of the tanks in NYC is that they are used to increase water pressure on buildings above a certain height, and the municipal supply is not so bad that residents have to get their water brought in by tanker trucks to a basement sump. – BMitch Apr 13 at 21:13

You should contact the water supplier for a metered line to your reservoir so you can segregate water with a clear conscience. They can then pump to your terrace.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.