Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a bronze gate valve whose spec sheet says it conforms to MSS SP-80 Type 2. However, the project standards specify that the gate valve must be MSS SP-80 Type 1. What is the difference between the two types, anyway?

FYI, the spec sheet for the particular valve in question can be found here.

share|improve this question
This seems a bit esoteric for DIY home improvement. Are these boiler parts? – HerrBag Jun 18 '13 at 13:26
@HerrBag Actually, I work for a mechanical contracting firm. I'm using these as just regular hydronic valves. The reason I'm asking this here, is because there was nowhere else to ask. – AJMansfield Jun 18 '13 at 13:33

It seems a Type I is a globe valve and the type II is an angle valve.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
That can't be right, because I have another valve here that is a MSS SP-80 Type 1, and it's still a gate valve. – AJMansfield Jun 18 '13 at 13:35
I found the chart here, under "Valve specifications Federal" turnkeyips.com/specifications.html – HerrBag Jun 18 '13 at 13:40
I went over the chart, and if you look at some items lower down, what I'm after is under Federal Specification WW-V-54d Class B, Type 1. – AJMansfield Jun 18 '13 at 13:47
obviously, MSS SP80 type 1 isn't a valve type, per se, since both a gate and a globe valve qualify. – HerrBag Jun 18 '13 at 13:54
Some other inconsistency I noticed: the spec book is asking elsewhere for type 3 bronze globe valves, but there is no type 3 bronze globe valve in the table, it skips right to type 4. – AJMansfield Jun 18 '13 at 14:06

I just figured out what the difference is:

  • Type 1 valves have non-rising stems
  • Type 2 (or 3) valves have rising stems

It's basically whether or not the handle moves vertically when you turn it.

share|improve this answer
WW-V 54d seems to be the determining spec for gate valves. – HerrBag Jun 18 '13 at 14:01
@HerrBag Yes, at least for bronze ones. – AJMansfield Jun 18 '13 at 14:02

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.