Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a wood futon that is assembled with threaded bolts screwing into holes in the wood that are threaded. Over time the threading in the wood has worn and the bolts just slide in and out. I've found plenty of info online on dealing with similar situations for screws, but nothing about bolts.

What are my options?

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

If the threads are in metal, then you can replace the threads. What you're looking for is called a T-nut and should be available at any hardware store. Take a bolt with you to get the right size.

enter image description here

If the threads are in the wood, a simple option is to just take the bolt to a hardware store and buy a bigger bolt. T-nuts are also a good option if a bigger bolt isn't practical, but you will also need new bolts because you will not find T-nuts that match the threading of your current bolts.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.