Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

An old house is in the process of being signed over to me. The house has been neglected for several years and I have begun trying to fix the place up. The front of the house has been victim of a severely leaky roof for several years and the water damage/mold problem is pretty severe. The roof has just been replaced and the leak resolved.

There are two bedrooms affected and the whole front wall of the house in these two rooms are moldy. I've begun striping away all of the materials I can, such as insulation, paneling, window frames, ceiling tiles, etc., but some of the materials I cannot remove, because it's the front of the house and I can't tear down the whole front of the house.

That said, would it be acceptable to spray mold killer (or rather, soak) the affected areas and paint over it with a mold preventative paint? I'm worried this will not be sufficient, as the affected area is severe and I'm not sure I can even access everything. Finances are limited, so I'm unable to pay a professional to complete the project for me. Not sure how fast mold spreads or how long it takes to grow, but would this be an acceptable remedy for a few years to come? How reliable ARE these mold killing chemicals I see online?

Sorry such a long post, but since I have eliminated the source of the leak, will this help kill off the mold?

share|improve this question
1  
Could you share some pictures of the problem? is there rot in there? –  Matt May 30 '13 at 0:12
    
Sure. I can get some pictures. Yes, the 2x4s have rotted. –  Mr. T May 30 '13 at 0:53
    
Pictures coming tomorrow evening. I need to charge my battery first. As for now, I need to get to bed. Thanks for your response –  Mr. T May 30 '13 at 1:14
1  
Start with this answer: diy.stackexchange.com/questions/27810/… –  HerrBag May 30 '13 at 2:27
add comment

1 Answer

I really don't have time to write a good answer, but I have and others have written some good responses that would answer your question. Look at the tags for mold. ID is important before remediation can be done. You have to know what kind of mold you are dealing with. Some minor mold can be dealt with DIY, but other toxic molds need professional attention. Samples need to be taken and IDed by a lab. Don't take chances, get it right.

share|improve this answer
    
I'll take your advice and look for a professional to test the type of mold. I doubt I'll be able to afford the services for their treatment plans so hopefully it's something I can do myself. –  Mr. T May 30 '13 at 0:27
add comment

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.