Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have cables that my cable company laid running all over the place. How do I connect these cables to the wall? What is the name of this part, so I know what to buy?

share|improve this question
What do you mean "connect to the wall"? Cable TV uses coaxial cables, so something like a coaxial wall plate is what would function as a wall receptacle. But it seems like your question might be more along the lines of how to wire coaxial through the walls as opposed to outside of them? – dpollitt May 15 '13 at 1:43
up vote 3 down vote accepted

It sounds like you're looking for "cable staples" or "cable clips" which look like this:

enter image description here

If you want to get fancier you can get "cord covers" which come in a lot of different styles, such as this:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
nice pics. looks good to me. +1 – shirlock homes May 15 '13 at 10:26
That last picture violates NEC 2008 400.8(6). Flexible cords and cables cannot be run through raceways. Works fine for coaxial, Ethernet, or other low voltage cables, not so good for power cords. – Tester101 May 15 '13 at 11:37
@Tester101 It's my understanding that would only apply if the cord is powering something considered permanently installed, such as an HVAC unit. It's pretty likely that is attached to a floor lamp and therefore not disallowed (though it's not specifically permitted, either). Would love clarification either way (maybe this deserves its own question?). – gregmac May 15 '13 at 14:42
@gregmac We discussed it in chat. I think it's not really covered by NEC, since it's not likely considered part of the electrical system. – Tester101 May 15 '13 at 14:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.