Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The electrical receptacle in my bathroom is difficult to use. It seems hard to unplug hair dryers etc. Do I need to replace it or can I fix it?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

It's probably best to get the socket replaced rather than repaired - especially one that's in a bathroom as you might need to have a RCD socket to protect against shocks.

Sockets should have a certain degree of stiffness so that the plug doesn't just fall out or come partially out if you put even the slightest strain on the flex.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Does it happen to be marked with TR (Tamper Resistant)? I find these outlets are more difficult to insert/remove plugs from. That being said, it should not take significant amounts of force to use.

Is it just a specific hair dryer that is difficult to remove? If so you should inspect the prongs for damage. If it is all plugs then the outlet is the problem.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.