Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am doing some research about decorative stones and came across high friction aggregate. I am a bit confused and here are my two questions:

  1. Is High Friction Aggregate a separate type of stone OR is it a treatment applied to stones?

  2. If it is a type of treatment, why would someone want to use it on granite/veneer/quartzite stones? I ask because the treatment is used to make skid resistant surfaces.

share|improve this question

I don't know of a residential use.

It is more a class of stone than a type.

For roadways, high friction aggregates (calcined bauxite is the most common component) is applied (bonded would be a better description) in areas where skids frequently occur, to improve traction.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.