Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm currently skim coating some really bad looking walls and my 45 minute joint compound is setting too fast for me to get a nice finish.

Can I mix the remainder of my 45 minute Joint Compound with a new bag of 210 minute JC to get something in-between?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The short answer is yes. I have done this but not for the reasons you have stated. I just had some leftovers and wanted to use them. As long as your mixing agent - water - is the same then mix away. Note that other than trial and error you are looking at a setting time between 45 mins to 210 mins - even if you mixed 50/50.

share|improve this answer
Great, thanks! I am mixing also because I have leftovers, but I was hoping for a slightly shorter drying time as well. – Alex Moore Apr 16 '13 at 17:27
There are 'kickers' and retarders for the 'hot' JC dry mixes. You have to go to a drywall supplies to find them. – HerrBag Apr 16 '13 at 22:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.