Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious. I know different plug styles are used based on a circuit's amperage (in the US) but is the same style of plug used for both 110V and 220V outlets of the same amperage?

share|improve this question
It's not clear what you mean by "connectors"? Do you mean the plugs that are used, or the wire nuts that are used to connect wires together? –  Eric Gunnerson Apr 16 '13 at 3:54
@EricGunnerson I'm asking about the prong configuration of plugs/outlets –  Brad Mace Apr 16 '13 at 4:22
Also, if you're asking if there exists a plug/receptacle that could be either 120 or 240, depending on the whim of the installer, the answer is no, any particular plug is either standardized at 120 or 240. –  Aaron Apr 16 '13 at 12:30

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

No, the plugs are different for different voltages. There are many different NEMA receptacles for various combinations of voltage and current, and also a "twist-lock" receptacles. Some common ones are:

Common NEMA plugs

(From Wikipedia).

share|improve this answer
The grid with everything oriented the same way makes it a lot easier to spot the differences, thanks. –  Brad Mace Apr 16 '13 at 13:30

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.