Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to replace the insulation on the back and side of the bathtub. The walls face the exterior of the house (poured foundation). What type and rating should I use? I can't tell what the existing insulation rating is or if it is a vapor type.

share|improve this question
Your location/climate will have a significant impact on the answer. – BMitch Apr 9 '13 at 2:46

The best would be sprayed-in-place foam. Second would be foam board, cut to fit the space and then sealed in with spray can foam. EPS foam is fine, but if you are willing to pay for poly-iso you will get a better R value. I would go for a couple of inches thick of foam.

You could also do fiberglass, but you won't get the same level of insulation and you could get condensation in the wall.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.