Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Take a look at this picture:

enter image description here

Could any one tell me what kind of wood that is around the fireplace? Is that just skirting board, or Dado rail or what? I don't know what to look for. Judging by the picture the wood is about 70mm wide (it looks about the same as the width of a brick). I'm just having trouble finding something online that looks like it.

I'm in the UK by the way- I've had a scout around on B&Q and Wickes website...

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

It is called Casing and is mainly used around doors and windows.

Case Moulding

share|improve this answer
Nice diagram- thanks – Shawson Apr 4 '13 at 20:06

It looks like pretty standard door and window trim to me.

share|improve this answer
Yes- I just this minute came to the same conclusion- also apparently called "Architrave"! Cheers! – Shawson Apr 4 '13 at 20:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.