Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I really like this photowallpaper, but it's quite impossible to import it:


I think - based on my basic but quite good paining skills - I can reproduce it with painting. But..

  • which type of paint is good for this? I think it should be dense and a little bit "rough"

  • how can I reproduce the pattern? with brush and sponge?

  • any general idea?

share|improve this question
Is this a concrete or stone wall because if so then you can get an acid stain that will give it this look. Painting drywall though... i have no idea. – maple_shaft Mar 21 '13 at 0:32
you could texture with premix joint compound, though using setting mud would be faster. OTOOH, thick Premix will crack.. try hitting it with a hair dryer. – HerrBag Mar 21 '13 at 12:27
thanks both of you, I'll try. – boj Mar 21 '13 at 19:21

I know (think) there is an additive you can put in paint or a glaze to give it the crack effect. Or I believe it is hand painted sometimes.

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-apply-a-crackle-finish/index.html http://makethebestofthings.blogspot.com/2010/05/crackle-finish-with-elmers-glue.html

share|improve this answer
nice, thank you, I'll try it! – boj Mar 25 '13 at 23:41

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.