Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've seen recessed downlights that fit in/on the ceiling prior to plastering, then after the ceiling is plastered the light has no visible bezel, just a recess in which the light sits. Search google images for 'trimless downlights' for examples.

Is there a system to achieve the same effect with switches and sockets? The alternative is flat-plate switches and sockets, which is not quite what I'm after.

If it makes a difference to the answer I'm in the UK.

share|improve this question
-1 because this seems very close to a shopping question. – BMitch Mar 17 '13 at 18:27
Seems like we should have some leeway for new, novel, hard to find and unusual. I agrees its "shopping" if its a "dime-a-dozen" type item (something very common). – HerrBag Mar 17 '13 at 21:52

I think you still need a metal/plastic backing plate, if only for access. Would you expect to see screws, or just a flush surface? Would you expect to demolish the overcovering of plaster to service the device?

You could achieve this effect by trimming a flat plate to sit inside the normal box cutout. Mudding the switch would require building a dam around the switch cutout, perhaps modeling clay or some such.

The ideal plate would be a reverse of a normal plate, which rounds off into the wall. This reversed model would cup upwards slightly, to hold the plaster.

Still don't like not having access. Couldn't you do a nice wallpaper cover. I've seen those that hide switches and outlets very well. As I recall, Europe has some heavy duty coverings that would mask the switches quite well.

These paintable wallpapers illustrate what I mean enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.