Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a particular term used for the section of a master bedroom that has the bed, if there is an adjoining foyer that is also part of the master bedroom?

 (Master bedroom)
|     *****     |
|     *BED*     |
|     *   *     |
|     *****     |
|               |
|     (???)     |
|               |
+-----     -----+
|               |
|     (Foyer)   |
|               |
|               |

I was thinking "sleeping area", "bed area", but I was wondering if there is a more standard way of referring to it?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

It's called "Master Bedroom". In your diagram, it's part of a "Master Suite", consisting of a foyer and a bedroom.

share|improve this answer

If the door to the suite is in the foyer section, it could also be called the antechamber. That would make the bed section the main chamber or bedchamber.

...and of course, no discussion of chambers should ignore the chamberpot ;)

share|improve this answer
and if the foyer is behind the bedchamber then it is a sitting room. – maple_shaft Mar 8 '13 at 20:29
is that the same as a "Throne room"? ;) – HerrBag Mar 8 '13 at 20:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.