Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have followed a number of videos, but they all seem to have a copper (?) stem. At this point I'm up to some plastic piece that has no notches (namely around the metal piece) to use a wrench on.

Where do I go from here? I'm thinking that I would pull it out, but don't want to risk it without being sure.

It is leaking, so I'm probably looking to replace more than just the knob.

enter image description here

[EDIT] I went to Lowe's and they cannot help me without knowing the brand. What would be a way to determine the brand? I do not see any labels, here are more pictures:


share|improve this question
There may be yet another screw deep inside the hollow shaft of the plastic piece. If there is a screw in there, take it out and the plastic piece should pull straight out. – shirlock homes Mar 4 '13 at 12:31
There's almost certainly a screw down the shaft like Shirlock said. – The Evil Greebo Mar 4 '13 at 12:46
Do you want to replace the valve or just the handle? Does the other knob fit? if so, take it to a plumbing supply store. They will try it on new valve replacement stems (some have boards of stems already made up) and sell you a new handle – HerrBag Mar 4 '13 at 13:36
The valve manufacturer may be on the back of the brass valve body. Do you have an access panel behind the tub? – HerrBag Mar 8 '13 at 7:09
up vote 1 down vote accepted

If you're not worried about possibly damaging the plastic bit (after all you are looking to remove it), I would get a pair of vice grips onto the square section at the back of the plastic piece.

This will allow you to either rotate the plug (to un-screw it, if it's threaded or to break the bond if it's glued in), or apply horizontal force to pull it out without damaging it too much.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.