Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm installing a dishwasher on a second floor, and after having 3x dishwashers leak during their run cycle during my life, I'm understandably hesitant.

I will definitely be installing a water alarm. However, what I'd really like to do is install a water alarm that can shut off power to the dishwasher in case of a leak.

Does such a device exists without me rigging up my own setup using a relay and water alarm combination?

share|improve this question
An emergency drain pan would be a good idea too – Paul Mar 4 '13 at 3:22
@Paul I added one for the laundry (and a floor drain, also) but a preformed pan might be hard to add and still be able to un- and re- install a dishwasher. If I absolutely had to protect the area 100%, I add a floor drain and use Schluter or Noble waterproofing membrane to make a pan-in-place. – HerrBag Mar 5 '13 at 16:38

I just recently paired a leak detector with a power relay for an upstairs laundry.

The leak detector has an output contact that is sensed by the power relay.

Floodstop detector, leak sensor and single valve for dishwasher

Furman power relay

I bought an extra sensor (they connect easily in parallel), so that I had one in the pan and one just outside at the base of the wall.

No extra wiring is necessary, except for converting your DW to a plug and outlet, all other wiring is supplied

You don't have to connect the valve if you don't want to, but its extra insurance if a hose leaks.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

I know there are valves for washing machine that do this. Like this one: http://www.pexsupply.com/Watts-0004646-A2C-WB-IntelliFlow-Automatic-Washing-Machine-Water-Shutoff-Valve-w-Leak-Sensor?gclid=COb8w-qC4rUCFQSg4Aod0mQAaw

It could probably be used for dishwasher as well.

share|improve this answer
I need something to shut off power, not water. – David Pfeffer Mar 4 '13 at 3:40

Try wet switch flood detector


share|improve this answer
That is for an HVAC condensate pan running on 24v, rather than a 120v dishwasher. – BMitch Apr 14 at 10:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.