Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm going to replace these cracked bricks on the front of my home(see pic). What type of mortar should I use? Type S, N, or M? Is there a way to determine the type of mortar that was used when the home was built?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
What climate region are you in? Did you discover what caused the shift? Usually bricks don't split from water damage. – HerrBag Feb 28 '13 at 23:12
@HerrBag, I'm in Maryland, between Baltimore and DC. I'm not sure what caused the split. The house was built in 1967. The crack is over a basement window. (Although, it doesn't extend all the way to the basement window.)... I recently bought the place. The gutter in this area used to overflow. I've fixed the gutter. I'm not sure if that had something to do with it. The foundation looks fine. Any ideas as to what caused the crack? – Laxmidi Mar 2 '13 at 16:58
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The mortar should be matched to the brick hardness (or stone hardness).

A soft, reclaimd brick might be matched to a Type N (750 PSI)

The type S, at 1800PSI would be my guess for these bricks.

The M, at 2500 PSI would probably be too hard.

A great tutorial from the Nation Park service:

Repointing Mortar Joints in Historic Masonry Buildings

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.