Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My sink started leaking - it looks like I need to replace all of the seal/gasket type things between the basin and the garbage disposal.

Top side:

Top side

Bottom side:

Bottom side

I am guessing that the steel part on the top side can be disconnected from the black plastic part, but I don't know that for sure, so I'm not going to go ripping at it until someone on the internet tells me to.

How do I seal each side of this back up?

The model is Pulverator P10. I couldn't find a manual online.

share|improve this question
This wouldn't be a Waste King disposer?? The model number would be helpful. The method of disassembly is different than the ISE (in sink erator) – HerrBag Feb 26 '13 at 22:24
@HerrBag added model – Chris Marasti-Georg Feb 26 '13 at 22:36
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Plumbers putty , in a 3/8 in thick rope circle, goes under the top part.

It helps to have a helper push it straight down and keep it from turning while the jamb nut and rubber washer and (sometimes paper) thrust washer. The rubber washer goes against the sink. The thrust washer goes between the rubber washer and the jamb nut.

If someone used some thread dope previously, get the mating surface of the sink cleaned off.

If the rubber washer or the thrust washer is deformed, replace them.

This video from Anaheim shows the mounting of the "Cushion ring" in step 6

A locknut wrench helps to loosen/tighten the nut.

enter image description here

This video shows replacing an ISE with a Waste King

share|improve this answer
So it looks like I just need to get some plumbers putty for now, right? I don't see how I can even get the whole assembly disconnected enough to replace the washers. – Chris Marasti-Georg Feb 26 '13 at 22:02
Ok, I'm at the store now - I'll pick up a new set of washers just in case. – Chris Marasti-Georg Feb 26 '13 at 22:36
Waste King disposers appear to use a rubber ring at the bottom of the sink outlet tube (the black plastic) to hold the mounting ring in place ISE (In.sink.erator) disposers have a metal wire clip holding on the mounting ring. You pop the clip off with a flat screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers. The disposer flange will then drop right off. Be careful popping it off without pliers on it, it will sometimes go flying – HerrBag Feb 26 '13 at 22:54
The Pulverator is made by Anaheim manufacturing, makers of the Waste King line – HerrBag Feb 26 '13 at 23:03
There was indeed a rubber ring holding everything on the bottom. I was able to pull that off, give everything a good scrub, replace the washers, and after a fresh pile of plumbers putty everything looks good. Thanks! – Chris Marasti-Georg Feb 27 '13 at 0:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.