My chainsaw stopped working and I've got a tree that fell and needs cut up. Does anybody have any idea what I can do to get my chainsaw started? I've done a bit of stuff on cars so I'm willing to try to take it all apart, though part of me is tempted to just drop $200 for a new one. Still, an afternoon tinkering isn't going to cost me much. Here is what I tried:
- check gas in tank Add Star Tron or Stabil Fuel Additive
- check for spark with screwdriver.
- Check Air Filter / intake for clogs
- Check Fuel Filter / to cylinder.
- Check linkages for Start/Stop and choke levers are operating
- Clean Magneto of Rust, ensure it holds a screwdriver up.
- Clean carburetor and fuel lines, especially if it may contain old fuel.
It's a husqavarna about 5 years old. I ran it hard 3 years ago when I had another tree topple but it made it through, though I may have vapor locked it once. It's also not been running since I failed to start it last year and it's been sitting there. With the spring I need to get on it before the weeds come.