Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've got a new shed being put up this weekend, I want to try to seal it up to keep some of the bugs from taking over. After looking around Focus DIY (large DIY chain in the UK) I found some "wood sealer", which comes in a tube and slots into a gun for squeezing out.

Each tube costs £6 and I think I'd need about 20 or so in order to seal a 6' by 8' shed, is there a cheaper or more effective method?

share|improve this question
just to be clear, you mean seal as in Wood Sealant and not as in sealing up a crack via caulk or expandable foam - correct? – Brian Oct 31 '10 at 17:23
I don't want to seal cracks in the wood itself, but the gaps between each plank of wood. – user155695 Oct 31 '10 at 18:02
how wide are the planks? – SqlACID Nov 1 '10 at 1:23
I would say that the main thing you want to keep out of your shed isn't insects but rats. Roaches in a shed I can live with. Rats, no way. I am building a fire wood store shed this weekend and I either need to lay down some ply on top of the cheap wooden decking floor or leave no gaps whatsoever. Faster to put some ply down on top. – Benjamin R Jul 23 '15 at 4:20

Just lay some tongue-and-groove OSB plywood on top of the planks.

For a 6x8 shed, you should only need two 4x8 sheets - which should certainly cost a lot less than the £120 you would pay for sealer.

Or for that matter, just have them use T&G plywood for the flooring in the first place.

share|improve this answer
You don't even need T&G. Just any thick plywood will do the job. – Benjamin R Jul 23 '15 at 4:17

Because a shed is generally subjected to temperature extremes you need to consider that its floor is prone to expansion and contraction. You therefore need to allow for some movement and whatever you use to fill the gaps needs to remain at least slightly flexible. Something I haven't tied myself but think might work is the dense foam rubber strips that are used in some places for expansion joints in concrete, if your gaps are large enough to accommodate them. Failing that I'd suggest a caulk that develops a semi-hard skin.

share|improve this answer
Rats and mice will eat through that rubber with no difficulty. – Benjamin R Jul 23 '15 at 4:21

You can seal any gaps with expanding foam spray. Just be sure to wear disposable gloves while applying.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.