Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is my thinking correct - If I measure from the wall to the bolt cap of my current toilet, which is 12", that means I have a 12" rough-in.

share|improve this question

You are correct. 12" is the most common toilet setback in the US. I've seen a few 10"s and seen listings for 14" but both are not common.

share|improve this answer
To add: typically tank type toilets are 12" and flush valve toilets are 10". – pdd Feb 25 '13 at 17:38
I put in an upscale Kohler a few years back and it could convert between all three with an internal plastic discharge reroute. – HerrBag Feb 25 '13 at 17:51

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.