Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to cut a piece of semi rigid aluminum dryer vent duct - though in doing so I will be cutting one of the ends off that goes either into the dryer or the wall outlet for the hose - the "lip" will be missing on one end - what to do?

share|improve this question

If it is simple Type A vent pipe you can just cut the pipe and then use a 4" coupling that has male ends on both sides. You should use some mastic around the male ends of the union or just simply wrap some aluminum tape around to seal the joint.

Do wear gloves when you're cutting the pipe with tin snips to prevent cuts.

share|improve this answer
ok - thank you...new at this – user11548 Feb 11 '13 at 22:56
the vent pipe I have already has male ends though I have to cut one off to make the vent shorter...??? please clarfiy – user11548 Feb 11 '13 at 22:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.